Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Week With A Web Tool

This week I spent a bit more time with Stumble!, I sent this to a few of you just see how it worked with friends, it only allowed five at a time and I am experimenting. I mentioned earlier that this is a Firefox add-on you use in your tool bar. StumbleUpon chooses new Web page to display based on the user's ratings of previous pages, ratings by his/her friends, and by the ratings of users with similar interests. It was interesting to spend a couple of hours on using this web tool. At first I was skeptical, but in the end I stumbled upon some great things about education (Two Million Minutes), piano lessons, great unknown musical performers, great photos, and occasional science demonstrations. In the end, I was surprised by what I was stumbling upon. You can easily email what you find of interest to your friends with this add-on tool. By the way Two Million Minutes is a documentary about six students from different nations that start high school at the same time. It is about the two million minutes it takes them to get through high school and how it prepares them for their economic prospects for the rest of their life. It looks very appropriate for the times and this class.

Cheers

No comments: