Friday, June 27, 2008

Integrate Web Application

I really like voicethread. The purpose of the web application is for students to make a comment on an image or video in four different ways (audio, written, video, and doodling or drawing). This is a great way to collaborate and showcase their work. In my science classes I can see students sharing their lab reports, presentations, and understanding of a science concept by displaying an image or a video clip which others can asynchronously make comments. Our school is performance-based, so in order for a student to receive an advanced in a standard they have to be able to teach the standard. This would be a great medium for students to share their knowledge with other students, allowing those that have not learned the standard to get an initial understanding. This will also solve the problem of the open enrollment issue in our school. Students can start at any time, but they may miss presentations or a concept that the whole class worked on earlier in the year. Using voicethread a student can view what was worked on previously. They can add comments or further their understanding by adding a more to their comment, based on what they learned. I think of it as a hyper-discussion board with four different ways of communicating. Our school also has technology standards that have students create multimedia projects for public presentation using advanced audio-visual techniques. Personally, I am so sick of PowerPoint presentations that I am looking forward to something new. Voicethread will offer a new opportunity for students in my class to present.

At this point, I do not know if we will not be able to use voicethread. However, if I have to plead my case to get the use granted I would use the information and demonstrations on ed.voicethread. I will stress that although the content is available to everyone there is a private and public realm, but only people specifically invited are allowed to make comments. Students cannot view content that was not created by a vetted or verified vociethread member. Students cannot add, or send an invitation to anyone other that an ed.voicethread member. So, these members are monitored my ed.voicethread educator. The educator also moderates content before it is posted. The bottom line is appropriate behavior needs to maintained and moderated by the teacher. This is the information that our director of information services needs to know.

No comments: